Thursday, February 10, 2011

Starting the little seedlings....


I started my flower seedlings 10 days ago.  Made 50 little newspaper pots and used organic seed starter.  I planted snap dragons, sweet pea, hollyhocks, delphiniums and various dalhias and zinnias.  I watered and put them away in my spare bedroom with two layers of cotton towels soaked in water over them.  I've re-wet the soil and towels and will check them again in 5 days...hopefully we'll see some sprouts coming through!

I also decided to try my hand at winter sowing....I planted various seeds in an empty water jug, split open the side just under the handle and tied closed with some coated wire I found in the yard.  I put it out up against the house, temperatures were in the single digits for 3 nights in a row...but looks like the little jug held up nicely...here's a pic of winter sowing in the snow!

1 comment:

  1. I have jugs out back now also. Worked last year so I expect it to be fine this year. I am now one of your followers. Come on by my new blog. I will be updating a lot this year as the seasons progress.
    Cher
    Goldenray Yorkies

    ReplyDelete